Sunday, June 28, 2015

Stripe Study Shawl

An office reorganization has left my sewing equipment in a pile, ready to be set up again, but in the meanwhile I've finally had a chance to finish this shawl I've been working on since March.

The pattern is Veera Välimäki's large triangular Stripe Study shawl, and I used Miss Bab's Yummy 2-ply, which I had picked up at Stitches West this year.

I'm quite pleased with the way this shawl turned out! Truth be told, I am not much one of a shawl wearer, but the asymmetry in this one is unique, so maybe this will not suffer the drawer treatment my other shawls have received.

Blocking this shawl was a challenge; it was too large for my surfaces. I ended up using two blocking wires along the top, and letting the points hang off my desk. Adding a very light weight to the bottom point gave it enough tension to sort of simulate full blocking with pins.

The colourway of the thick stripes is called "biker chick," and is a mix of light and dark greys, with splashes of orange.

This pattern is extremely simple, and can be done with minimal memory aids–a few stitch markers were all I needed: one to mark the short row position, another to mark the right side, and others to mark increase points. It's entirely done in garter stitch with the occasional increase, so it's a great pattern for TV-watching or being stuck on a plane to Europe.

As you can see, it is a very large shawl! Here's my project page on Ravelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment